Friday, January 23, 2015

I Dreamed of Snicker-doodle Cookies

Disclaimer: There is nothing healthy, vegan, gluten free or vegetarian about this post and recipe! Haha.

In the words of my father in law, "I have never met a cookie I did not like!". No truer words have ever been spoken. Cookies are such a simple comfort food. A good cookie is full of flavor, crisp on the edges, soft in the middle. Some are good dunked in milk and others are a compliment to a hot cup of coffee! I have worked at perfecting the cookie. It has been lots of trial and error but I have found a few tricks that work: I always half the butter that the recipe calls for. I bake my cookies for only 8-6 minutes on parchment paper and when I pull them out of the oven I slide off the parchment paper and let the cookies cool on the parchment before I even touch them. I also love experimenting with different cookie flavors. Once, I had a little bit of "Great Value-Indulgent Trail Mix" left, about 2 cups, and thought throwing that in a plain cookie batter was a good idea...turns out they are Husband's absolute favorite!


Last night as I was unwinding from a rather stressful day, I got to thinking about junk food, comfort food and everything that is not healthy (in large quantities), stress will do that to you. For the strangest reason I could not get snicker-doodles out of my head. Sounds like a line from a Christmas story...AAANNNYway...I love a fluffy snick-doodle. There is something so cozy about the cinnamon and sugar coating and the fluffy texture! Not only do I love cinnamon, cookies and cinnamon cookies I also love cream cheese! Guys, OMG! This recipe is so divine it should be illegal!! My recipe calls for one package of cream cheese added to the butter and sugar mixture right before you add the eggs. The addition of cream cheese makes it nearly impossible to dry these out. They came out so fluffy and soft! I did have to cook these a little longer than I normally would because they are so moist. These are an absolute must bake!


These cookies also call for an ingredient called cream of tartar which I have come to notice helps with the fluffiness of the cookies. Cream of tartar is used to stabilize the whites of the eggs, in other words it makes things stay fluffy! Sugar cookie recipes that do not call for it are probably going to result in hard, hockey puck cookies. If you are into plain sugar cookies you could stop at the cinnamon part and just make sugar cookies. The cream cheese really added tons of flavor and again kept the cookies so tender!
This is about how thick they should be before they go into the oven.

You Will Need:

1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar plus 2 tablespoons
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 package softened cream cheese
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 400. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla. Add cream cheese and mix well, add eggs one at a time.  In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda) and fluff with fork. Slowly add dry mixture to butter mixture and fold with wooden spoon. It should start to become very dough like but still soft. Cover and chill dough for two hours. In a small bowl mix cinnamon and sugar. Roll chilled dough into ping pong size balls and roll through cinnamon sugar mixture. Press onto cookie sheet that is covered in parchment. The dough should resemble small disk. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment