Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Creamy Avocado Spinach Pasta


My love for avocados knows no limit...to me it is literally the perfect food.  Do not be fooled by their green color or the mushy texture, they taste so good! I add them to smoothies or just eat them by themselves. Avocados are sodium and cholesterol free and they have anti-aging benefits.  The fats and oils in avocados are so good for your hair and skin!  Lately, I have been on a "clean" eating kick and I use the term 'clean' lightly.  Occasionally, I just want fresh food! I get tired of processed ingredients that I can't pronounce.  So, I have been seeking out fresh fruit and vegetables and experimenting with different flavor combinations.  I recently watched a documentary, "Hungry For Change" about the processed food industry and it has really opened my eyes and made me feel like I could really eat healthier, cleaner foods! Here is something I whipped up super quick this evening...I was not in the mood to work hard and this was super simple! 
 When it comes to being on a diet...which lets face it is a four letter word...we restrict ourselves so much. "Why not instead of telling ourselves we can't have something [processed, sweet and fattening] why don't we tell ourselves we can but we don't want it!!" -Hungry For Change, Amazon Prime Video.


Creamy Avocado Spinach Pasta

1 ripe avocado
zest of one lemon
a handful of fresh spinach
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons Greek or plain yogurt
2 cups penne pasta/ cooked

One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is my food processor!!!!  I use it for so many things, I got lucky and found mine at a yard sale brand new for $5!  So.....in a food processor or blender add avocado pitted and peeled, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, spinach and yogurt blend until smooth. 


If you do not have a blender or a food processor you can use a VERY ripe avocado and mashed all the ingredients together with a potato masher, your sauce may not be at smooth as mine however it will still taste just as good! I poured the mixture over pasta, I used what I had on hand which was "processed pasta" so technically I cheated a bit....but this would be sooo good over zucchini noodles or quinoa noodles.



This was so easy!  It tasted so fresh and guilt free.  I could definitely taste the lemon.  Things I would add....cilantro would be amazing on this. I sprinkled the top with some fresh Parmesan. Enjoy guys! See you next week!

5 comments:

  1. This recipe is so versatile!!! I could use it on flank steak, or chicken, or noodles!! Or eat it with a spoon when y'all aren't watching.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was for sure eating it right out of the food processor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks and sounds delish!
    can't wait to make it on our next Meatless Monday!
    thanx 4 sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Please share page with your friends and family. 😊

      Delete